Saturday, April 11, 2009

Is My Dog Too Fat? Part 1

A friend with a Shiba Inu recently asked me if I thought the family dog was too fat. Shibas with their offstanding coat can look much wider than they really are. My friend's dog was actually fine.
But it got me thinking on the subject of feeding dogs and specifically feeding them table scraps.
Unless you are actually taking the time to prepare a full balanced diet for your dog, I don't recommend feeding people food. Your dog won't do well with our highly spiced diet and it will tend to make him turn up his nose at his regular balanced food. It's like feeding your child nothing but ice cream and potato chips. After a while you find that you can't get him to eat his peas!
But its fun to give your dog treats so I give mine raw veggies. Carrots, brocolli, cauliflower and even raw potatoes are great choices. And the veggies don't spoil their appetite.
Best Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment