Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dear Sandy,


O.K., I'll bite....(haha) Here's a doggy question: I have one of your Silky's. We call him Dude, and he's the love of our lives. But here's my question: We take him outside about four times a day to do his business, and he's fine with that; but, at any other time, when he might want to go out in between, he doesn't know how to ask. This results in a very occasional accident...very seldom...but I'd like it if he could let us know. I tried ringing a bell before taking him out, thinking maybe he would make the association and bump it when he wants to go (my son's dog does that); and if he acts excited and starts to pester me, I ask him if he wants to go, thinking maybe he'll do the same thing the next time; but I haven't had any luck. When he comes up and wants attention, it's not to go out...it's to play. If I even look at him, he goes for a toy. (He really is the most fun little guy you could imagine). Anyway, this isn't a "biggie," but if you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. By the way, I've been grooming Dude myself, and I think I do a pretty good job, but I'd like to have a copy of your article. Good luck with your website.

Thanks,

ST, St. Petersburg

It's good to hear from you too. Consistency and word association should really help you here. Every single time you take him out that door ring the bell and say "go potty" or whatever key words you want to use. Eventually he will connect the dots. If other people let him out, make sure they are doing the same.

Best, Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment